Buccaneer 250 Sailboat


Needs TLC

Dated Updates Below.

8/18/2022 Original Posting:

In an effort to gain sailing experience, we decided a purchase an old sailboat. We chose this boat not because of its seaworthiness or excellent reviews, but because it was $3,000. That’s right, we went cheap.

In some ways, this is more difficult because we have had a few issues getting it the water. However, we wanted the total experience and knew this would be part of that.

Buying and moving the 25 foot trailerable sailboat from Waleska, Georgia to Gaffney, SC (to my brother’s land) should have been the easy part. Two blown trailer tires and one missing outboard motor cover later, and we ended up storing the boat at my wife’s ex’ place for a few weeks.

Money spent so far:

1980 Buccaneer 250 was $3,000

New tires and stuff, add another $500.

New outboard motor, add another $2,000

Registration and taxes, add another $500

Year slip rental, add another $2,200

Cleaning supplies and caulk, add another $200

Year of insurance, add another $500 (this could have been cheaper, but opted for midrange)

Our current total: $8,900

We still have other things that are needed to be done

Redoing all of the cushions – $xxx

Solar Trickle Charger – $35

9/3/2022 Update:

We managed to get the boat into the water and into our slip at Lake Hartwell. However, we found a minor leak. The leak is coming through the thru-the-hull transducer. We flex taped it and are okay at the moment, but in need of repair.

Shout out to Flex Seal. I figured it would work because I saw it at so many stores in the boat areas. Works amazingly well. Sticking to wet surfaces is amazing.

I’ve requested a quote to take the transducer out, fill in / repair the fiberglass hole, and paint the bottom. Hopefully, it won’t be too crazy of a price, or we’ll have to figure out how to do it ourselves. Not against that, really, but the boat is so heavy and it might be nightmare.

9/20/2022 Update:

We tried to install a new motor mount, but this boat apparently has a reverse transom… It’s a 45 degree angle, so I’ll have to make something to attach it.

I have a 12 x 12 x 1.5 inch piece of HDPE to do this with. I’ll post the results. Hoping for the best.

Finally, the mast is up. Mostly.

In the process of putting the mast up, I fell off the boat (while holding the mast horizontally) and onto the dock. It kind of hurt. The mast is now up, but we lost one of the 3 shroud lines on the port side. That’s currently in the water.

Did I mention that I got hurt? Seems like I got the back side of my leg (behind my right knee) caught on the cleat. Guess I can add photos.

In the meantime, I’ve tried to get the missing cable up, but I can’t see it in the water. It’s about 14 feet down. I tried a magnet fish it, but the cables just doesn’t have enough attraction. Tried to treble hook it as well.

A few days ago, I tried to swim down to get it. Not the best idea. I was alone and not sure how it would go. I’m a good swimmer, but it’s a long distance to dive down that I’m not used to, and there is big temperature barrier at around 5 or 6 feet. It’s a distinct difference. Warm to cold.

The other problem was that on the way down, I’d lose track of where I was going. First dive, I came up in a different boat slip. Not ideal. Other problems are that I really don’t have anything good to kick off to go down faster… I don’t want to kick off the bottom and lose visibility.

My plan is to have someone hold a pole to the bottom that I can follow down and drop in an anchor so that I can pull myself up faster if necessary. Also, I’ll wear my flippers.

Technically, not supposed to swim there. I consider this a salvage mission. Tonight, my wife and I are going over with a spotlight to see if we can at least find where it dropped. That would be nice to know.

Feel free to comment on any of the photos. May need to click the small version that opens up to see full size photo.